24126004_Nayela Islam - " How to leave your clingiest friend??"

 

How to leave your clingiest friend??


Hello there!! Welcome to my 1st knowledge session. As you all know me (if you don’t, then just click on my ID mate!), so there is no need for introduction.

Now, I think we all have some experience with this particular friend; or rather I do! And no, before you can roll into your deepest memories, we are not talking about any real person or any living being at that. This little pest is called Procrastination!

Procrastination, huh! What is it, you may ask? Well in scientific words, it is the habit of unnecessarily delaying an important task; but according to my experience, it is an overgrown Koala that is too heavy to carry and way too comfortable to let go.



Trouble!

(Image source: Sina (2023) https://www.safes.so/blogs/why-do-students-procrastinate/)

 

Before, delving into getting rid of this problem, I would first like to share my personal experience of procrastinating with you (you may scoff at it, but I won’t be able to see).

As a student, procrastination had always been a constant for me unfortunately. I could never plan and complete my tasks timely. It would always be like, oh, the deadline is next week? I will complete it within 3 days for sure! Then, after 3 days, it becomes 5, then 7 and time ultimately runs out, until I have only 15 minutes to complete the work.

While this might seem like laziness to other people, it was not for me. I constantly thought about my works and how the deadline is growing closer and closer. My anxiety used to hit the roof, palms sweaty while nervousness filled my body and yet I did nothing to escape it. It’s like a growing loom of shadow waiting to consume you but you are ignoring it with nothing but an eye mask.

This self-sabotaging interest was however with no less reasons! One of them is being a perfectionist (I know!!). How does that relate you may ask? Well, I always try to do my best at everything, check and double-check to ensure that I am meeting the rules, maintain the format and most importantly writing it down! But, due to this, it creates a fear of being unable to meet my own expectation. I am also incapable of starting a work immediately. I can’t just sit down and let my hands cooperate with my brain and start writing a masterpiece.



Too much information!!

(Image source: Calm Editorial Team (2024) https://www.calm.com/blog/feeling-anxious-for-no-reason)

Next is my interest in the given task, or lack thereof. If I find a topic boring or too time consuming, then I won’t be able to do it. Honestly, if there weren’t consequences for not doing my assigned works (read the dull ones), nothing would have ever made me complete it.

Another reason (well, two but they go hand in hand) of me unnecessarily stressing myself is too much workload and time management. I am a very undisciplined person and this faced with excessive workload, is a recipe for disaster in my case.

 



What to do? Where to start?

(Image source: Hussain (2024) Trouble! (Source: Sina (2023) https://www.safes.so/blogs/why-do-students-procrastinate/)

 

      “I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams

An interesting fact about procrastination is the ability to get away with it. Perfectionism doesn’t come to mind in those last few minutes, in fact, the lack of caring and still being able to complete the work properly, always nudges me away from doing anything.

Though, I have started to feel a bit rebellious and decided to slowly get rid of the problem from its roots.

Now now, don’t feel betrayed, I won’t keep these solutions to myself. So, gear up friends (specially the academic ones), we are on our way to drive this Koala to its home!

1.     Start with the easiest task. Gradually move on to the tougher topics.

2.     Write small notes and document random bursts of ideas. It will help assemble your topic later

3.     Stop pulling all-nighters (You’re not an owl!!)

4.     Adjust your environment according to your daily activities, like sleep, study, excersice etc.

5.     Choose the most productive corner as you study area

6.     Take breaks between tasks, don’t overwhelm yourself

7.     Practice meditation techniques like yoga, to relax your mind

Comments